Mineral Wells, TX located about an hour west of Fort Worth, was once a booming mecca of tourism. In the late 1800s to early 1900s, the town found its fame in it’s mineral filled spring water. The story goes that an old woman with senility drank the water and was cured of her ailment. Word spread and “Crazy Water” was born. The town began drilling wells all over and soon the town became a sort of health spa paradise. Hotels, sanatoriums, pools, and resorts were built all over this northern Texas town. People would come from all over to drink the crazy water and swim in the pools in the hopes of being cured from mental illness, rheumatism, and whatever they felt ailed them.
The most well known hotel was the Baker Hotel. Built in 1929 by shareholders in Mineral wells, it drew in visitors from all over the country and the world. Famous and infamous alike. Many of the guests of the Baker often were businessmen who would visit from Dallas to relax and recoup from their busy lives. They often required “entertainment” - this is where the Haunted Hill House came into play.
The house, originally built in 1892 by Fannie Yeager, was directly across from the Baker. It was a home to the Yeager family, and by the mid 1930s, was sold and served as the town brothel. Guests of the Baker would visit the home, often being entertained by ladies of the night, either at the house, or would return to the Baker hotel, to their rooms. There was an illegal bootlegging operation ran out of the house during prohibition times as well.
The house had a colorful past, leaving a lot of lingering energy behind. Many visitors to the Haunted Hill House experience voices, being touched, seeing apparitions and shadow peopl. They constantly capture EVPs, and get the overall feeling of dread when entering the home. The Haunted Hill House is now privately owned and opened to paranormal enthusiasts who hope to capture a glimpse of the past.
This house has been plagued by tragedy over the years, leaving many to easily believe the hauntings. The house was most recently put up for sale, and has yet to secure a buyer.
Haunted Hill House History Timeline:
1892: Home was built by Fannie Yeager. The Yeager family prominent in Mineral Wells. Fannie died in the home in 1924. Fannie was beloved in town and was known by the nickname of “Aunt Fannie”.
1928: Susan Renfrow, Fannie’s sister died in the home from the flu.
The Hill House served as a brothel for the Baker hotel. Many lives passed through the home through the years. There are no documented murders, however many investigators and psychics have captured EVPs and heard disembodied voices of a man and woman arguing on the stairs, followed by a gunshot. Perhaps a client who didn’t agree with his date?
One of the prostitutes who resided in the home had a mentally handicapped son by the name of Joshua. Joshua died in the home around the age of 6. Investigators often interact with the spirit of Joshua. He enjoys the attention and is heard often on EVPs. Many also hear and feel that a woman spirit is present when Joshua is around, perhaps his mother still watching over him.
The house also ran alcohol during prohibition and supplied clients at the Baker. Maybe some of these transactions didn’t work out as planned, leaving behind some residual energy?
In the 1950s, a man was working on the fireplace chimney on the roof, he fell to his death.
The house was a rental property during the 1950s to 1970s. One strange accident was that of a small boy, around 7 years old, who accidentally hung himself from his swing set in the side yard. He didn’t die right away, but there is a tree in that area of the property that has a cross carved into it. A memorial to that tragedy.
Madeline, a young girl, is a spirit that also frequents the home. She lived in the apartments across the street, was playing out front and was struck by a car passing by. She died on the steps leading to the front of the house. Her picture is displayed as a memorial in the home.