I go to the gym a lot. This is not a humble brag. I know it sounds like one but it makes sense with the information I am about to provide. I have been lifting for years and there are a few things I have picked up in regards to gym etiquette.
- Don't be the guy who is acting like they are at a concert. This person might be playing the air guitar, the air drums or just acting like they are in the front row at a concert! This person looks stupid and annoys me.
- Dont leave your weights on the equipment you just used. If it is a machine obviously this does not apply. If you are using plates and you think it is totally reasonable to leave them on the bar or leave them laying around, it isn't. Dont do that. This applies to all equipment that is not stationary.
- Wipe down equipment if you are super sweaty, if you aren't then it isn't the biggest deal.
- Don't be in the group of friends who is super loud and laughing a ton and just making a bunch of noise to be distracting.
- Do go to the gym regardless of how out of place you feel. You should never feel like it is an intimidating place because everyone started somewhere and people who lift are willing to offer advice when needed and embrace everyone. We are very nice people.
- Do eat well. Always remember that whatever your goals are in the gym, they won't come to fruition if your diet is not on point. Calories in calories out. If you want to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.
- Do wear whatever you want! Whatever makes you feel comfortable, wear it!
- Do bring your headphones. Musically has been scientifically proven to help increase the intensity of a workout and for the most part, the music they play on the overheads sucks.
Well there you go, some gym do's and don'ts. Take them and live your life to the fullest!